We’ll visit the Renaissance square of Santa Maria Novella with its famous Basilica. Santa Maria Novella is one the most beautiful churches of Florence with its impressive facade by Leon Battista Alberti. Inside there are works by Giotto, Masaccio and frescoes by Ghirlandaio. The Antique Pharmacy near the church was founded by the Dominican monks in the year 1221.
Duration: 3 hours| Rates
These are the most important stops during our tour:
- Piazza Santa Maria Novella with the impressive facade of the Basilica which bears the same name was made by architect Leon Battista Alberti for the Rucellai family. In front of the church, on the other side of the square the Loggia of the old hospital of San Paolo, now the Alinari museum of photography.
- Visit to the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, with the Crucifix by Giotto, the Trinità by Masaccio: the first fresco in perspective of the Renaissance ; the Tornabuoni Chapel by Ghirlandaio whose paintings are a true portrait of florentine society of the XVth century.
- The Antique Pharmacy of Santa Maria Novella was founded by the Dominican friars in 1221. This tradition, In its array of antique vases, the perfumes, ointments and balms, adminstered in the monastery hospital, is kept alive.
- The district of the Rucellai family, built by Leon Battista Alberti, the Piazza San Pancrazio with the Cappella del Santo Sepolcro, the Palazzo Rucellai and the exquisite Loggia, a perfect example of exquisite Renaissance architecture.
- Piazza Santa Trinita, the little triangular square has monuments on all sides in different styles and from different era’s. Noteworthy is also the Church of Santa Trinita that dates back to the XIth century with Ghirlandaio’s frescoes in the Sassetti Chapel.
RATES (Rates are per tour, tickets are not included)
|Groups (from 10 up to 25 persons)||€ 130 + € 2 for each extra person|
|Individual clients (from 1 up to 9 persons)||������� 150|
|Schools up to 25 persons||€ 120 + € 2 for each extra person|
|Ticket for the Basilica di S. Maria Novella||€ 3.50|
|School groups with students up to 18 years||€ 2.50|
|Children under 6 years and citizens over 65: free entrance|