DAY EXCURSIONS FROM FLORENCE
Florence is the capital of Tuscany and represents the perfect starting point for many different one-day excursions. Immerse yourself in the several beauties of Tuscany, famous for its artistic cities, scenic countryside, medieval villages, churches, and of course, ancient wineries where you can taste some of the world-renowned wines.
Here are some suggestions:
PISA AND LUCCA
- Pisa and its Piazza dei Miracoli. Come to admire the worldwide famous Leaning Tower along with the Cathedral, the Baptistery, the Cemetery: the stunning Romanesque monuments composing the Miracle Square.
- Lucca, surrounded by its Renaissance walls that you can explore by bike or on foot, is the “jewel city” of Tuscany with its Romanesque churches and beautiful shops in the historical center.
SIENA AND SAN GIMIGNANO
- Siena, the city that, together with Florence, has the most significant number of works of art in Tuscany. Wander and get lost in the medieval center of this enchanting town, you’ll discover its outstanding Cathedral, the Baptistery and the impressive Piazza del Campo where the historical horse race called “Palio” is held twice a year.
- San Gimignano is a charming well-preserved ancient village that rises on top of a hill clearly visible in the distance, thanks to its 13 medieval towers. By the end of the XIV century in San Gimignano there were 72 towers that’s why the city is also called the “Medieval Manhattan” as in the past the height of a towered-house was considered a clear sign of the family wealth.
- A day in the sienese countryside that combines art and taste. Montalcino and its castle with a tasting of the famous Brunello then have lunch in Pienza, famous not only for its beautiful historical center but also for its renowned pecorino cheese.
- Montepulciano, greatly loved by Lorenzo de’ Medici who transformed it into a Renaissance city with the aid of his architects. And don’t miss a memorable wine tasting in one of the ancient cellars of the famous red wine Nobile di Montepulciano.
THE CINQUE TERRE
The Cinque Terre: a perfect day by the seaside with a visit to the five medieval famous hamlets: Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza, Corniglia e Monterosso which are nestled on the cliffs like precious jewels. Boat ride or walk along the paths that connect the various villages and enjoy the delicious seafood and local white wines!
Contact us for more suggestions and further information.